Re: Registration of new charset "UTF-16"

In message "Re: Registration of new charset "UTF-16"",	Chris Newman wrote...
> The registration needs to label this as "not permitted for use with MIME
> text/* media types".

It is my understanding that IANA is mererely for registering charset
values.  Detailed information should appear elsewhere.  Since none of
the registration for EBCDIC, fixed-width EUC, UCS-4, UCS-2 mentions
text/* media types, I would hesitate to incorporate such information.
MIME RFC's do mention the CRLF rule, which prohibits the use of UTF-16
for the transfer of UTF-16 text via e-mail.

Below is extracted from "CHARACTER SETS" at
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets

Name: ISO-10646-UCS-2
MIBenum: 1000
Source: the 2-octet Basic Multilingual Plane, aka Unicode
        this needs to specify network byte order: the standard
        does not specify (it is a 16-bit integer space)
Alias: csUnicode

Name: ISO-10646-UCS-4
MIBenum: 1001
Source: the full code space. (same comment about byte order,
        these are 31-bit numbers.Alias: csUCS4

[Wed, 13 May 1998 10:39:43 +0900]

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp