Re: Registration of new charset "UTF-16"

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Erik van der Poel wrote:
> The HTTP, HTML, XML and other communities also use IANA charsets. Various people
> in these communities refer to media types as "MIME types". Hence, saying "This
> character set is not permitted for use with MIME text/* media types" could be
> confusing to some people.
>
> RFC 2278 says "All registered charsets MUST note whether or not they are suitable
> for use in MIME."
>
> So how about rewording your sentence like this:
>
> This charset is not suitable for use in MIME email.
>
> I.e. change "permitted" to "suitable" (like 2278), and add "email" (my
> suggestion).

That would be incorrect.  It is just fine to use the UTF-16 charset with
an application/* media type in email.  It is a violation of the MIME
standard to use UTF-16 in a text media type, and that rule is not specific
to email.

I don't care if you change "permitted" to "suitable".

		- Chris