RE: Comments on draft-yergeau-rfc2279bis-00.txt

Hi Mark and Keld,

Thanks for speaking up.

I think we need to carefully distinguish that while Unicode 3.2
and ISO 10646:2000 allow (and seem to encourage) leading BOM
in UTF-8, an IETF 'standards track' RFC that describes UTF-8
usage _for_Internet_protocols_ should preferably say:

1)  Historically, leading BOM usage in the UTF-8 encoding
    has been allowed by ISO 10646.
2)  All Internet protocols SHOULD NOT specify or encourage
    leading BOM usage in the UTF-8 encoding.

(the above wording obviously can be improved - Martin probably
said it better already - if I could only find his note...)

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (co-editor of Printer MIB v2)
  High North Inc