Re: Registration of new charset [ISO-2022-JP-2004]

                  Hello,

I have a few questions about this registration:

 > At 00:28 06/09/28, Koichi Yasuoka wrote:
 > >=?ISO-2022-JP-2004?Q?=1B=24B0B2=2C9=270l=1B=28B?=

I believe that, in general, many of us recommend being conservative in
what you send out, liberal in what you accept. Therefore, the
recommendation is to use the charset label that matches the smallest
subset of characters actually used in the text, as well as using the
oldest and/or most commonly accepted name. In this case, you are
clearly using the ESC $ B (1B 24 42) that is part of iso-2022-jp (rfc
1468). Therefore, the more conservative option is to use the name
iso-2022-jp when sending this particular piece of text.

I have noticed over the years that if you don't spell out the
recommendations, implementors will do the wrong thing. In this case,
would it be a good idea to add such recommendations to the
registration itself? Or should a new RFC be written, in order to
provide the recommendations in more detail?

 > >I understand that ISO-2022-JP texts with "ESC $ B" and
 > >"ESC ( B" can be accepted by ISO-2022-JP-2004 decoder.
 > >It is problematic when "ESC $ @" or "ESC ( J" is used but
 > >they are very rare now.

Which escape sequences are permitted in iso-2022-jp-2004? There are 3
problems with the link you sent earlier*: The first page is in
Japanese, and when you search for X0213, the results are in Japanese
too. Then X0213 is split into many PDFs, and it is not clear which one
to download in order to see the escape sequences, nor am I inclined to
download all of the pieces. Finally, that site was down yesterday and
up today. How often does it go down?

* http://www.jisc.go.jp/app/JPS/JPSO0020.html

 > >Now I know "ISO-2022-JP-2004 vs Unicode
 > >mapping table" at http://x0213.org/codetable/iso-2022-jp-2004-std.txt

I wonder whether either or both of these links would be good to have
in the registration:

http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/233.pdf
http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/

Erik van der Poel
Editor and co-author of RFC 1468 (iso-2022-jp)