From: Martin Duerst
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 2:10 AM
To: Mike Ksar
Cc: ietf-charsets@iana.org; Ned Freed
Subject: Registration of Windows Charsets (Thai, Japanese, GBK, Korean,  Big-5)

Hello Mike,

Ned Freed and me just very recently have been appointed as IETF Charset
Reviewers, and are now together with IANA working on the backlog that
has piled up. IANA asked us to look at five registration requests that
you sent in last year or early this year (see below).

Can you please resend these registration requests with the following
corrections:
1) You don't seem to use the right form. The form for charset
   registrations can be found at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2978.txt
   (Section 5). In particular, you don't need a security section,
   but you have to indicate whether or not the charset is suitable
   for use in MIME text. Also, please make sure that the charset
   name also appears in the registration request body, not only in
   the Subject, and submit the registrations as plain text, in the
   body of the email, not as an attachment.
2) Some of your registrations seem to refer to already registered
   charsets but request an independent registration. For example,
   you request "Windows-932" but in parentheses say "Japanese
   Shift-JIS". However, Japanese Shift-JIS is already registered
   and widely used with the label "Shift_JIS". What's the relation-
   ship of your request to Shift_JIS? Is it supposed to be the
   same, or is it different? If different, what's different?
   Such explanations, which can help people a lot when they
   try to understand the various registrations, should go into
   the "Additional information:" field.

IANA also has mentioned some updates that you tried to make.
For the updates, please send in a registration form that contains
the new information that should be registered. In the "Additional
information" section, please mention that this is an update and
list up both the formal (e.g. change of contact person, change
of Web location for defining documents) and the material changes
(additions/clarifications of codepoints,...).

Many thanks for your collaboration. Please feel free to ask
us on the list or privately if you have any questions.
I hope that we can move these registrations forward quickly.

Regards,        Martin.