Re: Best fit (was: Update of charset windows-1252)

I don't know who created the tables, but they were submitted by an
individual from Microsoft.

The windows-1252 iana charset update does offer a contact (Mike Ksar).

The "CPINFO 1 0x3F 0x003F" simply indicates how Microsoft's
implementation maps characters that are not in the destination charset
(0x3F) or illegally encoded (0x003F), depending on the direction (from
Unicode or to Unicode). See the readme. ICU may have chosen 0x1A, but
that was their own decision. There is no interoperability problem here
because the legal characters are fully specified.

The 698 WCTABLE mappings are from Microsoft's implementation. Many of
them are "best fit" mappings. I have confirmed that their
implementation does return these. They do have an option to turn off
the "best fit" mappings.

The mappings are sorted in a strange way. Maybe they will fix that,
but it shouldn't prevent this charset from being updated at IANA.

Regarding Kent's comment saying that best fit mappings should not be
part of an IANA registration: First, Martin says there's not enough
info, now you say there's too much! :-)

Should we strip the best fit mappings from the table and post it somewhere?

Erik