Re: Update of charset windows-1252

Hello Erik,

At 01:24 06/10/24, Erik van der Poel wrote:
>Maybe I can correct myself before Ned wakes up. :-) I guess
>windows-1252 _can_ be used with Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit if the
>text does not use any of the 8-bit characters.

I think this goes too far. It basically would mean something like
"You can use windows-1252 with CTE 7bit if it's just US-ASCII,
not windows-1252." In that case, it should simply be labeled as
US-ASCII.

>On 10/23/06, Erik van der Poel <erikv@google.com> wrote:
>> This might be misinterpreted as "not suitable with any
>> content-transfer-encoding other than 8bit", but quoted-printable is
>> equally suitable, particularly when it is used to keep lines short
>> (though format=flowed is considered by some to be a less invasive
>> solution to that problem).
>>
>> How about saying "Note that this charset cannot be used with
>> section?
>>
>> Erik

You're right that base64 and QP are also okay. Your proposal
for text in the Additional Information section seems to make
sense to me. I'm waiting to hear from Ned, he knows these things
much better than me.

Regards,    Martin.