RE: Request for registration of character set TSCII for TAMIL language

Thanks,

Shawn

-----Original Message-----
From: K Kalyanasundaram [mailto:kalyan.geo@yahoo.com]
Sent: Poʻakolu, Pepeluali 28, 2007 12:10 AM
To: Michael Yau; ietf-charsets@iana.org; Shawn Steele
Cc: Mani Manivannan
Subject: Re: Request for registration of character set TSCII for TAMIL language

Dear Shawn Steele and Michael Yau:

Many of us have been associated with a global Organization devoted
to Tamil IT called INFITT ("International Forum for Information
Technology
in Tamil"). INFITT organizes Tamil Internet Conferences in different
parts
of the world. This is an annual gathering of hardware & software
professionals
working in Tamil IT development.  Representatives of many IT MNCs
(Microsoft, Apple, Sun, Oracle, IBM,.. ) have participated in these
conferences
where TSCII and other 8-bit bilingual encodings are extensively
discussed,
in particular migration of data from these legacy encodings to Unicode.

Papers presented in these TICs are available online at the INFITT
website
<www.infitt.org>. INFITT has a formal liason relationship with Unicode
Consortium, helping the UTC in the context of Tamil Unicode Block.

Steele has summarized correctly the present situation - many  IT MNCs
are "aware" of the existence of TSCII encoding for Tamil, but there is
no direct support at the OS level. It is well known that MNCs do not
provide
direct support for 3rd party encodings that are not formally
registered.

Few years back we contacted Unicode Consortium to include a TSCII-
Unicode mapping table, mainly to aid migration of TSCII  users to
multilingual
Unicode. IBM, for example, has recognized the need for such mapping
table to help migration:

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/topics/migratingdata/charactermap.jsp

Present initiative for a formal registration of TSCII is in the same
spirit- help
migration of users and legacy data to Unicode. It will be very helpful
for software
developers  to provide migration support if  popular (hacked?)
encodings
such as TSCII  are formally registered with IETF/IANA.

In conclusion I want to state, in the plain ASCII version of TSCII
registration
request, we have condensed heavily the general introductory part and
removed all references to the knowledge or awareness of TSCII amongst
IT MNCs.

with best regards
K. Kalyanasundaram