From: Shawn Steele [mailto:Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com]
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 5:45 PM
To: ietf-charsets@mail.apps.ietf.org
Subject: RE: windows-874 new registration

Trying to address the entire thread: :)

> - UTF-8 is preferred to windows-874 when permissible.
> + UTF-8 is preferred to windows-874 when permissible for Thai.

I like that.

> For such more or less obsolete charsets, why do you write COMMON ?

IMO *any* code page is less preferable to UTF-8/UTF-16.  So in that sense, this is as "common" as any of the other registered code pages should be.  In particular for Thai machines it is the default system code page for the machine, so ANSI apps will use it, so in that sense it is common in a Thai environment.

> UTF-8 is preferred to windows-1252 when permissible.

I'd be happy to say that since I think UTF-8 is a better solution and since Windows is effectively a Microsoft code page.

> UTF-8 is preferred to ISO-8859-1 when permissible.

Although I agree, I wouldn't presume to change the definition for an ISO code page.  I'd recommend that separately (like in my blog).

- Shawn

Checked by AVG Free Edition.