RE: Indicating charset variants (was: RE: windows 936)

> I don't think it's such a good idea.

I agree, for mostly the same reason:  Clients (& servers, ours & others) already abuse the code page names by creating the variants.  Its unlikely that all of these clients will get upgraded to support variant tags.  Even if they did, that would presume there are no errors (which is how lots of these variations happened).  Its possible that updated clients could even accidentally save data with the wrong tag.

Existing data would need to be upgraded to indicate its variant, and frankly if they're going to that much effort, I'd be much happier if they upgraded to UTF-8 or UTF-16, for which solutions already exist.

- Shawn