RE: shift_jis / windows-31J

Updated with Martin's comment for the MIME text suitability, added link to JIS web page, and tried to incorporate Martin's comments regarding the JIS standards mapping correspondence, however I am not as familiar with that document, so I could have erred.

> I would probably change this to "On Windows systems, Windows-31J text is commonly declared...."

I've hesitated about this in pretty much every email on this topic.  I don't mind being specific (though I'd say more like "On Microsoft systems" since non-Windows Microsoft products would use the same mappings), but my hesitation is for two reasons:
1) I wasn't sure if the charset registry wanted to directly identify companies/products by name this way.
2) I think it is likely that some of the windows behavior has "leaked" to other systems.  For example, HTML 5's new mapping recommendations would probably encourage such leaking of meaning, particularly in HTML.

I don't feel strongly about it either way, so whatever the charset group wants :)

-Shawn

Charset name: Windows-31J
Charset aliases: csWindows31J
MIBenum: 2024

Suitability for use in MIME text:

Yes, Windows-31J is suitable for use with subtypes of the "text" Content-Type. Note that Windows-31J is an 8-bit charset. Care should be taken to choose an appropriate Content-Transfer-Encoding.

Published specification(s):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/cc305152.aspx

ISO 10646 equivalency table:

http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP932.TXT

Additional information:

Windows Japanese.  A variant of Shift_JIS to include NEC special characters (Row 13), NEC selection of IBM extensions (Rows 89 to 92), and IBM extensions (Rows 115 to 119).  The CCS's are JIS X0201:1997, JIS X0208:1997, and these extensions.  Windows-31J text is commonly declared with the shift_jis name of the parent charset, and the Windows-31J name may not be recognized.

Person & email address to contact for further information:

 Shawn Steele
 Email: Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com

 Microsoft Corporation
 One Microsoft Way,
 Redmond, WA 98052
 U.S.A.

Intended usage: LIMITED USE

Charset name: Shift_JIS

MIBenum: 17

Charset aliases: MS_Kanji and csShiftJIS

Suitability for use in MIME text:
This charset can be used for the top-level media type "text".

Published specification(s): Appendix 1 of JIS X0208:1997.

ISO 10646 equivalency table:

The correspondence is defined in JIS X0208:1997, the Kanji mapping is described in Appendix 6.  Column 1 of Table 2 of Appendix 5 lists some variation of punctuation, and the names given in Appendix 5 are preferred to those in Appendix 4, when available.

In computer readable formats several variations exist.  An obsolete variation is available at:

http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/OBSOLETE/EASTASIA/JIS/SHIFTJIS.TXT

Additional information:

This charset is an extension of csHalfWidthKatakana by adding graphic characters in JIS X 0208.  The CCS's are JIS X0201:1997 and JIS X0208:1997.

Several vendor specific charsets that derive from shift_jis often use the shift_jis name instead of a more specific vendor charset name.  Windows-31J and ??? are examples.

Person & email address to contact for further information:
Japanese Industrial Standards Committee
http://www.jisc.go.jp/eng/index.html

Intended usage: LIMITED USE