RE: Are charset names supposed to be case sensitive?

> * It makes it easier to separate the semantics of the utf-16 alias
>    in the Microsoft listing from the semantics of the UTF-16 name in
>    the IANA registry.

Microsoft's behavior is identical, regardless of casing, whatever you're observing is accidental and shouldn't be relied on.

> * It separates 'unicode' from the trademarked/registered 'UNICODE'.

Not a lawyer, but I don't think the trademark office is going to consider cased versions of the same word sufficiently distinct as to be separate things.

-Shawn