Re: Whither ANSI X3.64? (was Re: Suggested character set policy forthe IETF)

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

>  > (And it isn't like similar machinery doesn't already exist in ANSI X3.4
>  > under the general rubric of "control character", BTW.)
>

> I recently learned that the 8-bit ASCII spec (X3.64-1979) was pulled a few
> years ago. This is the spec which defines the 'C1' control characters that
> commandeer the #128-159 range in ISO-8859-1. Can anyone explain this?

The #128-159 range is defined by ISO 6429.

> Does
> it mean that the C1 range is now safe to use for graphic characters?

No.

> And is
> there any official set of glyphs for that range (Eudora's mapping seems to
> work as expected...)?

How about:

   128: ?
   129: ?
   158: ?
   159: ?

Misha

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.