Whither ANSI X3.64? (was Re: Suggested character set policy for theIETF)

 > (And it isn't like similar machinery doesn't already exist in ANSI X3.4
 > under the general rubric of "control character", BTW.)

I recently learned that the 8-bit ASCII spec (X3.64-1979) was pulled a few
years ago. This is the spec which defines the 'C1' control characters that
commandeer the #128-159 range in ISO-8859-1. Can anyone explain this? Does
it mean that the C1 range is now safe to use for graphic characters? And is
there any official set of glyphs for that range (Eudora's mapping seems to
work as expected...)?

thanks,
-Walter  ::scratching head::