Re: MIBenum value for ISO-10646-J-1?

On Mon December 6 2004 14:55, Martin Duerst wrote:
> Realizing now that this is not the general registration for ISO 10646,
> I think the best explanation for missing this information was that
> the author who wrote the registration document did it to try to prove
> a point of his, but nobody else had much of an expectation that it
> would actually get used. From other registration attempts, it is also
> clear that the author doesn't understand what 'suitable for MIME text/*
> means. (or, if you believe the author, that he is right and everybody
> else is wrong).

That raises some additional issues regarding any charsets
which may have been registered inappropriately (including
any which fail to meet the definition of "charset"). Given
that such a name has already been registered, there
probably needs to be provision in the registry to indicate
that a name or "charset" (including primary name, MIBenum,
and all aliases) is considered obsolete and that its use is
deprecated. [It shouldn't simply be removed from the
registry, as then there would be no record to indicate
what is meant (as when reading/parsing old messages)]