Re: IANA Character Set Registration Submittal

On Tue March 15 2005 16:43, Mike Ksar wrote:

> Attached are 5 new charset registration applicatons and 9 previously
> registered charsets which needed updating.

[disclaimer: I've looked at one registration, but have not reviewed
the others]

Some issues:

1. registrations should clearly state whether or not the charset
   meets the criteria for use with MIME text media types (see
   RFC 2046 sect. 4.1.2).

2. registrations should clearly state that the charsets are
   vendor-specified (IANA needs to know that in order to assign
   a MIBenum value in the appropriate range -- please don't
   force IANA into guessing).

3. if any of the existing charsets are deprecated for continued
   use in new content, there should be an "Intended usage" section
   clearly indicating deprecation.

4. any known aliases in use or suggested for use should be specified.
   Specifically, if there are known cs* (printer MIB) aliases, they
   should be listed; if there are none assigned (e.g. new
   registrations), an "IANA considerations" note reminding IANA to
   assign a cs* alias should probably be included.