From: Reuel Robrigado [mailto:reuelr@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Thu 3/24/2005 10:39 AM
To: Mike Ksar
Cc: ietf-charsets@iana.org; Reuel Robrigado
Subject: Re: IANA Character Set Registration Submittal

Hi Mike,

I have a question on   4.  windows-1253.   You refer to the following as published specification:
1) Kano, N. "Developing International Software for Windows 95 and
Windows NT", Microsoft Press, ISBN 1-55615-840-8, 1995, p. 468-471
3) http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/sbcs/1253.htm <http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/sbcs/1253.htm>

Pages 468 and 469 of N. Kano's book shows the Feminine Ordinal Indicator (U+00AA) in codepoint x'AA' (see attached scanned images) while the URL in #3 above shows that no character is assigned to this codepoint.  I noticed that http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP1253.TXT <http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP1253.TXT>  also has codepoint x'AA as #UNDEFINED.

The original charset registration for windows-1253 <http://www.iana.org/assignments/charset-reg/windows-1253>  back in May, 1996 also has both publications above as references.  I am assuming that at that time, both publications were consistent.  Our products that use windows-1253 have used N. Kano's book as reference and expects the Feminine Ordinal Indicator in x'AA'.  I would suggest that you kindly update the webpage in your URL reference if this is a documentation error.

Thanks, Reuel

Regards,

Reuel Robrigado
IBM Globalization Center of Competency, Toronto
8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, ON. L6G 1C7
Tel (905) 413-4975; Fax (905) 413-4682; internet reuelr@ca.ibm.com

Mike Ksar <mikeksar@microsoft.com>

03/15/2005 04:43 PM

ietf-charsets@iana.org
cc
Mike Ksar <mikeksar@microsoft.com>
Subject
IANA Character Set Registration Submittal

Attached are 5 new charset registration applicatons and 9 previously
registered charsets which needed updating.

The files that are new registrations are:

1.  windows-874.txt
2.  windows-932.txt
3.  windows-936.txt
4.  windows-949.txt
5.  windows-950.txt

The files that are updates of existing IANA registrations are:

1.  windows-1250.txt
2.  windows-1251.txt
3.  windows-1252.txt
4.  windows-1253.txt