Re: IANA Character Set Registration Submittal

Hi Mike,

I have a question on
4.  windows-1253.   You refer to the following as published specification:
1) Kano, N. "Developing International Software for Windows 95 and
Windows NT", Microsoft Press, ISBN 1-55615-840-8, 1995, p. 468-471
3)
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/sbcs/1253.htm

Pages 468 and 469 of N. Kano's book shows the Feminine Ordinal Indicator (U+00AA) in codepoint x'AA' (see attached scanned image) while the URL in #3 above shows that no character is assigned to this codepoint.  I noticed that
http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP1253.TXT also has codepoint x'AA as #UNDEFINED.

The
original charset registration for windows-1253 back in May, 1996 also has both publications above as references.  I am assuming that at that time, both publications were consistent.  Our products that use windows-1253 have used N. Kano's book as reference and expects the Feminine Ordinal Indicator in x'AA'.  I would suggest that you kindly update the webpage in your URL reference if this is a documentation error.

Thanks, Reuel

Reuel Robrigado
IBM Globalization Center of Competency, Toronto
8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, ON. L6G 1C7
Tel (905) 413-4975; Tie 969-4975; Fax (905) 413-4682 reuelr@ca.ibm.com

win-1253-p469.gif