Re: Best fit

One pair of Windows APIs is MultiByteToWideChar and
WideCharToMultiByte. You can find several other MSIE APIs by looking
for "mlang" at msdn.microsoft.com/library. In particular, look for
"mlconvchar".

I don't know how the best fit tables were created. Some parts look
like they were mechanically generated, but other parts make me suspect
that they were hand-edited there, e.g. inconsistent use of tabs and
spaces, inconsistent use of Control-Z at EOF (end of file).

It is up to Microsoft to supply an email contact for the best fit
files. Since people sometimes leave companies, it might also be a good
idea to provide an alias or list like cpxlate or globaldev(?).

I will address the "u2w.icu( x ) != u2w.bestfit( x )" in a separate email.

Erik