Re: Windows Code Pages 932, 936, 949 and 950

At 18:35 06/11/03, Frank Ellermann wrote:

>Yes, but we can't register x-anything.  X- is reserved in RFC 2045
>chapter 5, and RFC 2978 inherits that in chapter 3.1.  The x- rules
>are always the same, nothing special wrt charsets.
>
>IOW we need a simple way to break this rule if necessary.  We could
>pro forma register "anything" mentioning that only x-anything works
>in practice.  Or because we always need a cswhatever we could take
>csanything.

As far as I understand, we are only discussing aliases, not the main
label. As long as the main label is supported, there is no need for
aliases at all. People look at the registry, pick the main label,
label their cotent, and send it off. The receiver understands what
is meant. Interoperability rules.

Aliases are only useful to document varying existing practice
for labeling charsets. Ideally, such practice will die out
eventually.

Regards,    Martin.