Re: Registering a charset alias

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:13:30 +0200, Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com> wrote:
> For me this is important enough to bring up at an IETF/W3C
> coordination call, if that would help.
>
> Anne, Erik, others, let me know if that is something you feel is
> needed. I will not take any action without hearing from you.
>
> Anne, thanks for bringing this up.

That could certainly work.

One of our main goals with HTML5 has been to make the browser space more competitive. This includes documenting in great detail what rules browsers need to implement in order to render legacy Web documents. This in turn includes such rules as treating iso-8859-1 as if windows-1252 was specified and having x-x-big5 be an alias for big5.

We realize these rules are from ideal, but at the same time they form an important part of how the Web functions and therefore need to be documented so software can be written without having to reverse engineer existing products.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/