RE: Registration of new charset CP50220

I don't think the registration needs an alias, unless someone's actually using that name already?

If I understand the intent correctly, the intent here is to match Microsoft's 50220 behavior?  If so, I think that defining the "character sets" in terms of the JIS standards is a little bit odd.  Instead I might consider pointing the character set mappings, like at http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/ ? (Not sure if that completely works)

I'm not sure the comparison to shift_jis makes much sense.  They both encode Japanese, but 50220/iso-2022-jp are both stateful escape sequence based encodings, whereas shift_jis is "just" a double-byte code page.

Probably worth mentioning that not all applications that support this code page would recognize the CP50220 name.

- Shawn