Re: shift_jis / windows-31J

I agree with Shawn here. I think what we discussed earlier was that if
there is an encoding label A (that would be Shift_JIS here) that in
common browser usage is actually interpreted as encoding B (that would
be Windows-31J here), then we would make sure that the charset registry
contained an entry for B. The "in a browser context, use B for A" would
then be in the HTML5 spec or somewhere close.

In the current case, we are already have B registered, and Shawn is just
working on getting the relationships cleared up. If there are other
cases where B isn't registered, then I hope Anne can help us getting
these registered.

I think creating a separate registry for HTML5 doesn't make that much
sense, because there are as far as I know only very few cases with
exceptions.

In the long term, maybe introducing the concept of variants (having a
label such as Shift_JIS--windows or so) might help, but from the current
discussion, it doesn't look like there is too much support for that.

Regards,   Martin.