From: Anne van Kesteren [mailto:annevk@opera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:58 AM
To: Shawn Steele
Cc: NARUSE, Yui; ietf-charsets@mail.apps.ietf.org
Subject: Re: shift_jis / windows-31J

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:30:26 +0100, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Does the updated version sent Friday work for you?
>
> I think completely pointing shift_jis to the windows 932 behavior would
> maybe break others, but I don't know for sure.

I do not think the way that was phrased will ever give us good
interoperability or will give a clue to new web browsers what they need to
implement.

Though maybe to address that a separate registry is needed just for web
browsers -- as I suggested in the past -- to avoid clashing with others
who do not wish to update their code to match.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/