From: "Martin J. Dürst" [duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp]
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:09 PM
To: Shawn Steele
Cc: Ira McDonald; ietf-charsets@mail.apps.ietf.org; Makoto Murata (eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp)
Subject: Re: Big5 / CP950

On 2011/09/22 3:05, Shawn Steele wrote:
> I saw the “one of…”, but they aren’t defined in the RFC?  Your spirit of Limited Use sounds about right for big5 though.

I agree.

For some more comments, please see below.

> Thanks,
> Shawn

I haven't checked, but I guess these were not introduced when the
charset registry was created, but with a later update.

I assume the distinction between COMMON and LIMITED USE was originally
intended as some kind of advice to implementers: If it's COMMON, then
make sure it's supported, if it's LIMITED USE, you may not need it. But
I don't think that has ever really worked.

> Martin - searching for this made me realize that the
> plaintext IANA Charset Registry at
>
>    ftp://ftp.iana.org/assignments/character-sets
>
> contains 257 entries - they don't include the Intended
> Usage field.
>
> I suggest we work w/ IANA to change the plaintext
> registry.

Assuming somebody has lots of spare time, that would indeed be a good
idea. Assuming that everybody's time is rather limited, it may have to
wait. There are quite a few other things in the registry that might
benefit from clearing up, but the critical mass may not be reached yet.

> In most cases this data is long lost (if ever submitted)
> because the directory
>
>    ftp://ftp.iana.org/assignments/charset-reg
>
> contains only 55 entries.

Lots of stuff was taken from http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1345 (and
some other places). There's no need to keep that kind of information in
separate templates.

Regards,    Martin.