From: Doug Ewell [mailto:doug@ewellic.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:21 AM
To: Shawn Steele; Anne van Kesteren; ietf-charsets
Subject: RE: Encoding Standard (mostly complete)

Shawn Steele <Shawn dot Steele at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> I'm a little confused about what the purpose of the document is?

I assume it was intended to document the encodings deemed permissible in HTML5, which I guess is supposed to be synonymous with "the web platform."

I was surprised by some of the choices of "permissible," such as including ibm864 and ibm866 but none of the other, much more widespread, legacy OEM code pages. I was also puzzled by the reference to utf-16 and utf-16be as "legacy" encodings.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­