Re: Encoding Standard (mostly complete)

Anne van Kesteren, Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:38:47 +0200:

> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/encoding/raw-file/tip/Overview.html
>
> Feedback is much appreciated.

(1) Just an idea - take it or leave it: Section 7 is called "The
encoding" and that it only describes a single encoding - UTF-8. In
order to emphasize "UTF-8" as _the_ encoding, how about collapsing
section 8 to 13 into a single section named "Legacy encodings", with 6
sub-sections?

(2) I would suggest that you, the first time you talk about "byte order
mark", also introduce the abbreviation - "BOM". Currently, BOM occurs
in section 13 while "byte order mark" occurs in section 6.

(3) Regarding the note "the byte order mark is considered more
authoritative than anything else", then I would suggest specifying what
"anything else" means. I suppose that it includes - or at least ought
to include

	HTTP,
	<?xml version="1.0" encoding="<anyvalue>" ?>
	Manual encoding overriding by the user
    The above is valid for both XML and HTML.

   Unless this is listed/described, then I think one starts to guess
what "anything else" means.
--
Leif H Silli