Re: Registration of new charset ISO-8859-11

> Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com> wrote:

> >>Charset name: ISO_8859-11:2001
> >
> >This isn't allowed as a primary name since it contains a colon.

> This was patterned on previous registrations of ISO 8859 series charsets.

I suspected as much. Unfortunately a fair number of existing registrations have
glitches in them that should have been caught during the registration process
but weren't. Attempts have been made to clean up the mess but so far nobody has
pushed hard enough and long enough to actually get a useful result. Maybe
someday, but in the meantime the best we can do is make sure new
registrations are done correctly.

> > I'd be tempted to put the ISO reference first.

> The unicode.org reference was put first since it is freely available (does not
> require a fee for access).

Understood, however, the ISO reference is IMO the "definitive" one, which is
why I thought it should be first.

> Here's a revised registration text taking into account the comments:

> Charset name: ISO-8859-11

> Charset aliases:
>   Alias: ISO_8859-11:2001
>   Alias: ISO_8859-11
>   Alias: latin11
>   Alias: l11
>   Alias: csISOLatin11

> Suitability for use in MIME text: Yes

> Published specification(s):
> ISO/IEC 8859-11:2001 Information technology -- 8-bit single-byte coded graphic
> character sets -- Part 11: Latin/Thai alphabet.
> <http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?
>   CSNUMBER=28263&ICS1=35&ICS2=40&ICS3=>

> <http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/ISO8859/8859-11.TXT>

> The mapping table at unicode.org provides sufficient definition of ISO/IEC
> 8859-11:2001 as a CES and CCS by defining the octet sequences that appear in the
> charset, the equivalent UNICODE code points, and the UNICODE standard names of
> the characters.

> The formal specification is openly available from ISO for a fee.

> ISO 10646 equivalency table:
> http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/ISO8859/8859-11.TXT

> Additional information:
> ISO/IEC 8859-11:2001 is the ISO standardized version of TIS-620 with the
> addition of a Non-Breaking Space character at position 0xA0. It is an extension
> of the ISO 8859 series of charset specifications, and covers characters used for
> the Thai language.

> Person & email address to contact for further information:
> Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>

> Intended usage: COMMON

This now looks fine to me, although I'm curious as to your response to the
question about latin11 alias that Frank Ellerman possted:

Frank also said:

> http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP874.TXT
> might be more relevant than 8859-11.  I recall that somebody
> from MS tried to register 874 last year, but the reviewer
> didn't post here for years.  Send your request to the IESG
> if nothing happens after two weeks.

Personally I think we need to have both ISO-8859-11 and CP874 registered.

				Ned