RE: My draft for windows 1252

AFAIK the overlap between "Microsoft" and "IBM" numbers are more like
variations of the same language than completely different code pages
(http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/IBM/readme.txt has a
list of differences).

I've seen similar variations of other code pages that respond to the
same alias(es) with subtly different results between vendors, so I'm not
sure that the variation in implementation invalidates the alias.

In this case it seems like cp1252 is sometimes used to describe
windows-1252 (and maybe also the IBM version), so that fits my
expectation of an alias, even if the exact target is ambiguous.
Similarly 1252 is often processed internally as an integer, however it
can also appear in text (although I wouldn't expect it in MIME or http
content-types.)

So is the ietf charsets assignments only listing those aliases used with
Internet protocols?  It appears that some software uses cp1252 and 1252
as aliases, but none cases have been mentioned where they are used with
an Internet protocol.

Personally I don't care much either way, but it seems safer to me to err
on the side of including aliases if we think that they might be used,
which seems the opposite of Markus's position :)

- Shawn