Re: windows-874 new registration

* Kent Karlsson wrote:
>I do question your implication of such statements that they would
>mean that "other" charset is obsolete or of limited use (other than
>the obvious limitation in characters representable).

RFC 2978 recommends against using COMMON for the intended usage field if
the charset does not add significant functionality that is valuable to a
large community. "UTF-8 is preferred to windows-874 when permissible" to
me is an admission that it does not add significant functionality that's
valuable to a large community, not a reminder that Unicode encodings are
often preferable to non-Unicode encodings, there is no point saying that
in non-Unicode charset registrations.

I am just saying the registration should not recommend against using the
charset and claim at the same time that it is intended for common use.