Re: Registering a charset alias

On 2009/08/15 0:33, Erik van der Poel wrote:

> (1) Adding new aliases. Relatively uncontroversial, but at some point,
> we have to stop. That stopping point may be slightly controversial.

Before we stop, we have to start. I suggest Anne go ahead. If anybody
else wants to help, that's fine, too.

> (2) Merging charsets. Some IANA charsets have distinct names, but are
> treated as aliases in major implementations.

If "major implementations" means "major browser implementations", then
that's way not enough, because the IANA charset registry has much wider
usage.

> (3) Supersets. Perhaps in a separate file, not in the same file as the
> normal charset names and aliases.
>
> (4) Preferred MIME names. Some charsets have aliases but do not have
> "preferred MIME name" attached to any of them.

That's fine. I think the rule should be:
1) If the Name or an Alias is labeled as "(preferred MIME name)", then
use that.
2) Else, use the name.

Anne (or somebody else), can you make sure that gets into the authors
section of HTML5?

> It might be a bit too ambitious (or even unnecessary) to include all
> of these in a single coordination call.

Please don't expect a coordination call to solve any actual problems.
What it may help is to get a feeling for who might do what.

> We also need to remember that charsets are used in protocols other
> than Web protocols (e.g. email).

Very true indeed.

Regards,   Martin.