Re: Registration of some code pages

2010/9/6 Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>:
> Windows-31J isn't helpful to describe microsoft behavior because that's t=
he IANA name,
> but Microsoft apps don't recognize it.

In my understanding, Windows-31J refers Microsoft Windows Codepage 932.
Sp it should be helpful to describe microsoft behavior.

Proposed revision of "Shift_JIS" and "Windows-31J"
http://www2.xml.gr.jp/log.html?MLID=3Dxmlmoji&N=3D142

> Unfortunately the names we use are already assigned :( =A0Obviously exist=
ing behavior isn't going to change.

What are "the names"?

> So my thinking would be to us a name that we do recognize (though as an a=
lias), and point out that we sometimes refer to this code page by other nam=
es, though those names may have different meanings to other applications.

> It's not a great solution to the single name meaning two things problem, =
but I'm not sure there is a perfect solution to this issue.

> This is probably an issue for a few of the code pages. =A0I don't think a=
  "Web specific" registry helps much because we use these names for pretty m=
uch everything, so any application on a windows/.Net box reading "shift_jis=
" content could get "Windows-31J" behavior. =A0(Presumably some coudl also =
get shift_jis behavior if they used their own conversion code instead of th=
e system APIs).

If I have a portable software, it should work on Unix as the same as
it does on Windows.
So the expectation that "shift_jis" on Windows means "Windows-31J" seems wr=
ong.

Such automatic overrides are needed for documents which declares its
encoding in the document or related metadata.
Such situation is not a Web specific, but not universal.

--
NARUSE, Yui  <naruse@airemix.jp>