Re: shift_jis / windows-31J

* Ned Freed wrote:
>I think this is necessary but not sufficient. All of the charsets that
>currently operate under the name "shift_jis" need to have their own
>registrations, but once that's done the registration of "shift_jis" itself
>needs to be updated to explain the ambiguity. I also think the "shift_jis"
>registration should state that due to the abiguities, use of the "shift_jis"
>label is not recommended.

>I don't see how it makes any sense either, but for different reasons - I have
>to say I regard these supposed boundaries between different usages as largely
>nonexistant. Stuff always leaks. Always.

I agree with this. I think each of the variants should have a label, but
the label need not necessarily be listed as "Alias" as we currently use
the field, and obviously for some it would make sense to clearly note
they exist mostly for documentary purposes (for instance, so I can put
in the documentation of my software I handle "shift_jis" as defined for
"made-up-label"). And I do not see much value in identifying exactly
where some variant is used a lot, whether that is "Microsoft products"
or "Web browsers" and so on, that's something better stated in other
places, like the documentation for web browsers or summary documents.