Re: Big5 / CP950

Hello Shawn,

On 2011/09/20 2:23, Shawn Steele wrote:
> Murata-san has asked us to update the big5 entry similarly to what we did for shift_jis, pointing out that Big5 has vendor-specific variations as well.  Eg: add something like this:

Thanks for picking this up.

> Several vendor specific charsets that derive from Big5 often use
> the Big5 name instead of a more specific vendor charset name.
> Windows Code Page 950 is one example, Big-5 HKSCS, Big5+ and
> several font specific variations are others.
>
> However, I don’t see a big5 entry in the charset registry, only the entry in the Character Sets table.

I don't understand what you mean. The registry is at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets. I see an entry that says:

Name: Big5  (preferred MIME name)
MIBenum: 2026
Source: Chinese for Taiwan Multi-byte set.
         PCL Symbol Set Id: 18T
Alias: csBig5

Do you mean that Big5 doesn't appear at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/charset-reg/index.html ? The fact that
it doesn't appear there and also doesn't refer to an RFC definitely
means that this registration is somewhat at the lower end of what's
expected, but it's nevertheless registered.

> There is an entry for Big5-HKSCS (which probably fits the definition of one of the Big5 variants above), but HKSCS is a variant.
>
> Am I missing something?  Should a new entry for big5 be created (pointing to something like http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/OBSOLETE/EASTASIA/OTHER/BIG5.TXT)?  Other suggestions?

For an update of the Big5 registration, it would indeed be good if you
proposed a filled-in template, adding references such as the above where
needed.

Regards,    Martin.