RE: Encoding Standard (mostly complete)

> The charset registry is woefully inadequate and as you know is a far cry of how encodings
> are actually implemented and what labels they have in practice. Not to mention that it is
> unbounded and lists many encodings that would be bad to support.

Well, maybe point to the defined ones then that you want to support in HTML.  We can't change our behavior, so if your document happens to diverge, it'll introduce additional confusion.  Current cross-vendor/platform implementations already vary, but those ways should be well understood by people who hit those issues.

-Shawn