Re: Bugs in IANA character-sets list

> If they are just bugs, iana@iana.org is the right address.
> If fixing them changes the semantics of the registration, this mailing list
> is the right place to discuss it before doing so.

Here is my list of bugs, observations, and proposals related to
"http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets":

1. Probable Typos
-----------------

'csIBBM904' --> 'csIBM904'

'csUnknown8BiT' --> 'csUnknown8Bit'

Entry of ISO-10646-J-1 is missing a MIBenum (probably 1004) and a 'cs...' alias.

2. Other missing 'cs...' aliases
--------------------------------

For the entries of MIBenum 1011 to 1015 and the entries at the end of the list,
beginning with 'windows-1250', no 'cs...' aliases are provided.

3. ISO-8859-... aliases
-----------------------

The lists of aliases for the entries of 'ISO-8859-13', 'ISO-8859-15' and
'ISO-8859-16' seem to be incomplete.

4. Unassigned MIBenums
---------------------

In the first region of MIBenums running to 112 the two numbers 107 and 108 are
assigned.  Is this with intention?

5. Preferred MIME Name
----------------------

No details on the meaning of the "preferred MIME name" annotations are given.
It should be noted when to use the preferred MIME name instead of the MIBname
and why not all entries have such an annotation.  A reference to the
corresponding specification should be included in the introduction, too.

6. Order
--------

The entries appear in no continuous order.  This makes it difficult to look up a
specific character set.  Also a machine readable version would be of help for
some users.  I myself hard coded the table in a Delphi/Kylix component (omitting
the source and reference information), which is freely available in the
so-called "Unicode Conversion Library" at "http://www.philo.de/xml/";.  By
popular request I can write a little program to convert it into an XML or .INI
File, etc.

Dieter

--
|  Dieter Köhler, M. A.  |  Web-Site at "http://www.philo.de/"; with     |
|  Schiffgasse 4a        |  o  1000+ international philosophy links     |