Re: windows-1252

Frank Ellermann wrote:
> It's on the quoted MAPPINGS/VENDOR/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP1252.TXT
> page at unicode.org submitted by cpxlate@microsoft.com

Neither the original windows-1252 registrant (Chris Wendt) nor the new
windows-1252 re-registrant (Mike Ksar) has pointed to the unicode.org
site for the definition of "windows-1252". Chris and Mike both gave
microsoft.com URLs and Mike provided a reference to a Microsoft Press
book. I don't think there is any rule that says that the URL(s) must
point to a site other than the registrant's. The book is "openly
available" so it's probably OK to include that reference.

However, it still would be nice if Microsoft provided a machine-readable
10646 mapping for windows-1252.

> In that case it
> would be nice to register "cp-1252" as an alias

In general, I think we should avoid adding aliases. However, if
consensus can be reached that "cp-1252" is in fact used a lot and almost
always means the same as "windows-1252", then my feeling is that it's a
good idea to add that alias.

Erik