Re: (SPAM: 5.001) Re: Registration of new charset [ISO-2022-JP-2004]

> Suitable for 7-bit use in MIME body-part as text/plain or text/html.

This wording might be misinterpreted to mean that iso-2022-jp-2004 can
only be used with text/plain and text/html. I believe this charset is
suitable for use with any subtype of text (text/*).

Also, I wonder if we should say anything about
Content-Transfer-Encoding. The quoted-printable encoding does not look
good at all in very old (pre-MIME) implementations (and is not
necessary when the lines are short enough). The format=flowed
transformation would work fine, even in ancient software. (Do we care
about pre-MIME implementations?)

> B-encoding is recommended for use in MIME header-part, because
> ISO-2022-JP-2004 is a partial extension of ISO-2022-JP.

The term "header-part" is not normally used for these. They are called
encoded-words. How about: "The 'B' encoding is recommended for use
with MIME encoded-words in headers, as is recommended for the related
charset iso-2022-jp."

> - ESC ( B      for ISO/IEC 646 IRV

I wonder if we should add JIS X 0211 here. This set is similar to (if
not identical to) ISO 6429 control characters in the range 0x00 to
0x1F. The most commonly used controls in the iso-2022-jp family are
horizontal TAB, CR, LF and ESC. SI and SO _must_ not be used.

Erik