Re: Registration of new charset CP50220

Hi,

(2010/08/31 8:20), Shawn Steele wrote:
> Windows, .Net&  MLang aren't going to change the behavior of these code
 > pages, it would break people.  Instead we'd encourage customers to use
> UTF-8, particularly if they're having problems.

Totally agree. I do not want to change the existing legacy codes only to
comply the registration. Note that sending ESC(I is illegal regardless
of "CP50220". Mozilla ISO-2022-JP encoder should have been changed anyway.

> I was sort of assuming that since you're using the Windows nomenclature,
 > you're attempting to pin down the behavior for some sort of
 > interoperability when you see the Windows names.  It is, perhaps, odd
 > for the "7 bit" form to do something when it sees 8 bit data, but I was
 > just letting you know that's what it does :)  I'm sure there are also
 > other subtle discrepancies between the 5022x behavior and the official
 > standards, but we're pretty much stuck with the existing behavior.

Windows does not use the name "CP50220" at all. It treats the name
"ISO-2022-JP" as Windows Codepage 50220.
Windows should behave as if it uses genuine ISO-2022-JP because it
doesn't use its own name. Therefore it should preclude
users complained about this rudeness. Eventually, Outlook Express fixed
this bug.
The name "CP50220" is used by non-MS implementations to differentiate it
from genuine ISO-2022-JP. Those implementations do not share exactly the
same behavior. Even WideCharToMultiByte and MLang are differ from each
other. So there is no authoritative definition of "CP50220".

Consequently, I think the regitration should include only the greatest
common denominator. The rest should be left undefined.

--
VYV03354@nifty.ne.jp