Re: Registration of some code pages

* Ned Freed wrote:
>I'll probably get chided for saying this, but it sure seems to me that this
>battle is already lost and we should suck it up and move on. It's always been
>permissible to add characters to a chqrset, even though there are always going
>to be implementations that are slow to support, or may never be upgraded to
>support, the new characters.
>
>So, unless there are cases where a code point has been used in conflicting
>ways, why don't we just add the additional characters to shift_jis and
>iso-2022-jp? (Perhaps a revision to RFC 1468 is in order.)

As I understand it, there are indeed implementations that support these
names but do not agree on the correspondence between octet sequences and
sequences of Unicode code points a typical example is backslash versus
yen sign in shift_jis; http://www.w3.org/Submission/japanese-xml/ has a
few more details.